The cause of most executive transition failures is not poor selection or gaps in competence. It’s what happens during onboarding.
That’s why an executive onboarding program is essential to preventing slow or failed transitions.
At Avenue Leadership Consulting our executive onboarding program prevents and addresses the root causes of executive transition failure whether promoted from within or an external hire.
There’s a 50% chance a new executive will fail or leave the organization within their first 18 months whether hired externally or promoted internally. 1
The cost of an executive failure is 10 times the executive’s salary—sometimes more. 1
Only 30% of global executives are satisfied with their onboarding experience, while 32% of executives rate it as poor or below average. 2
1 –HBR The Biggest Mistakes New Executives Make by Sabina Nawaz May 15, 2017. 2 – Pomeroy, A. (2006). Better executive onboarding processes needed. HR Magazine, 51(8), 16.
The Avenue To Executive Transition Success Program
- Increases the speed of onboarding. Decreases the time to integration and execution
- Reduces executive missteps or mistakes that lead to slow or failed transitions
- Creates a transition that is smooth for the executive and leads to executive and team engagement
- Maximizes transition results with minimum time required of the executive, HR, and organization
- Enhances company’s existing transition program to maximize integration
- Combines onboarding, assimilation, integration, coaching, feedback and team development into one cohesive program
- Efficient, simple, and cost effective
- Sponsor (hiring manager) and stakeholder engagement, expectation setting, and feedback
- Executive coaching focused on adapting style to the context/culture/role’s needs
- Technology enabled program delivering onboarding process, tools, and videos to the executive’s email
- Pre “day 1” sources of success and avoiding transition pitfalls
- Understanding expectations and navigating culture
- Identifying, building, and evaluating stakeholder relationships
- Shaping a vision and plans for the new role/team/organization
- Direct report team assimilation, assessment, alignment, and development
- Change management and vision communication principles
- Hiring manager, board member, or HR leader who is hiring or promoting an executive
- Transitioning executive who has been asked to come up with their onboarding and transition plan
- Create a comprehensive onboarding plan to increase the speed, efficiency, and success of a new or transitioning executive
Executive Onboarding Program Overview
Download a PDF Executive Onboarding Program Overview
We can review you current leader and executive onboarding practices, benchmark them against best practices, and create an enhanced onboarding approach for both internally promoted leaders and leaders new to your organization.
Proprietary Processes & Tools
We leverage tools based on decades of experience and research on leader transition effectiveness. Our tools include targeted assessments, exercises, templates, and planning documents that are specific to each stage of transition and customizable.
Learn more about executive onboarding and transitions
Executive onboarding and transition timeline, toolkit, plans, and templates-essentials including an executive transition onboarding plan, template, roadmap, checklist, pillars, and communications
Executive onboarding and transition fundamentals: the what, why, and who of executive onboarding programs and coaching– the essentials of executive onboarding, transition, integration, and assimilation including programs and coaching
Causes and solutions of executive transition failure– the costs and causes of executive transition failure, the typical approaches to onboarding, what is actually needed by executives in transition
Top challenges executives face during transition– the top challenges executives face during transition and onboarding and how to overcome them
Mistakes made in executive onboarding and transitions– common mistakes and how to prevent them
Join 100s of leaders in getting the latest on leadership tools, research, and practices. Sign up for our newsletter. No selling. All value.